MONTREAL, Nov. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — CN (TSX: CNR) (NYSE: CNI) announced today a special program to acquire additional monitoring equipment to enhance its strong technological base for early detection of defects.
Jim Vena, CN executive vice-president and chief operating officer, said: "We're stepping up our inspection and detection capabilities. We've had a major push in recent years to increase the number and quality of track, wheel and bearings inspections that help prevent accidents. This has positioned us well in the rail industry. With this program, we intend to go further when it comes to safe rail operations."
At a cost of C$10 million, the program will include the acquisition/installation of:
- Thirty new Wayside Equipment System units that detect hot bearings, hot wheels and dragging equipment;
- A new track geometry test car to monitor the position, curvature and alignment of track;
- An optical track inspection system that uses imaging to identify defects;
- More than 30 new brittle bar detectors that identify and flag derailed equipment to train crews, and
- Controlled signaling on certain key rail sidings in our most heavily used corridors to alert crews and dispatchers to broken rail incidents.
CN has more wayside detection technology than any other railway in North America and has increased that capability by 30 per cent over the past five years. CN has also increased the frequency of its ultrasonic rail flaw inspection by 70 per cent over the past five years.Vena said: "The application of new detection equipment and modern safety technologies will improve the coverage of our network. The technology we're deploying will keep us ahead of the industry in this field and strengthen our solid safety performance even further. Advanced technology, rigorous safety process and the continued strengthening of our safety culture are the key foundations of our unwavering commitment to safety.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV