If you believe the British currency is due for a pullback and you like the prospects for British equities, you could consider the recently introduced db X-trackers MSCI United Kingdom Hedged Equity Fund (DBUK). The dollar volume is a bit too light for my tastes, though I am looking forward to the day when DBUK has more assets under management.
What about the euro? CurrencyShares Euro Trust (FXE) took a noteworthy hit when the European Central Bank found itself with few alternatives; it lowered its refinancing rate to 0.25% last month. Nevertheless, FXE has been charting a path of higher lows since early July.
That has made the unhedged Vanguard Europe (VGK) stronger than WisdomTree Hedged Europe Equity (HEDJ) for the last five months. On the other hand, if the European Central Bank continues making overtures to weaken the eurozone's common currency -- if you see value in European corporations that trade at lower price-to-sales ratios than their U.S. counterparts -- depreciation in FXE could herald outperformance for HEDJ.
Follow @etfexpert At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV