Despite a shaky start to 2013, Apple ( AAPL) has been on a tear since the summer. I've been a fan of the stock for a while now too -- and I've still have a position in AAPL shares. After spending November in sideways-mode, AAPL looks ready to move higher again.
After moving up close to 20% off of September's swing low, Apple has been consolidating sideways in a rectangle pattern. The rectangle is a price setup that's formed by a horizontal resistance level above shares at $535, and another horizontal support level down at $510. The rectangle gets its name because it essentially "boxes in" shares. The high-probability trade comes when Apple exits its channel - a move through $535 is a buy signal.Apple's relative strength, a measure of this stock's performance versus the broad market, has been on fire for the last six months. From a statistical standpoint, an uptrend in RS is a very good indication that shares will continue to do well in the medium-term. I'm holding on from here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV