NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Homebuilding remains an important component of an economic recovery. Before Tuesday's strong rebound the 11 homebuilder stocks I have been tracking were down between 7.3% and 26.6% since May 28. Beazer Homes (BZH) which was upgraded to hold and had a one-month gain with a six-month loss. Ryland Group (RYL) was down for the month.
On Tuesday, ValuEngine upgraded four names to hold from buy and one from strong sell to sell. Homebuilders rebounded on a stronger than expected reading for building permits in September and October and on higher prices that were reported in the S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price indices. Following Tuesday's rally the six month declines were cut to between 4.1% and 23.1%.
Since my last post on Oct. 31, Homebuilder Trading Opportunities Continue the biggest gainer has been Beazer Homes which was upgraded to hold and had a one-month gain of 12.5% with a six-month loss of 5%. Ryland Group as the worst performer since Oct. 30 with a decline of 5.8%.
The S&P/Case Shiller Home Price Indices showed that the 20-City Composite rose by 0.7% in September and was up 13.3% year over year. With the 20-City Composite up 23.6% since the March 2012 lows I would continue to argue that the housing bubble is re-inflating.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV