Greek Economy Seen Shrinking Further Next Year
Greece has received most of the 240 billion euros in rescue loans ($326.3 billion) from eurozone countries and the IMF since losing access to bond markets in 2010. But austerity measures imposed as a condition to the bailout have hurt the economy, pushing unemployment above 27 percent and slowing efforts to bring debt down.
In Athens, Gurria handed Greek officials a series of proposals aimed at boosting market activity, from liberalizing Sunday trade to changing regulations for the shelf-life of milk.
A former Mexican finance minister, the 63-year-old economist said he was encouraged by Greece's progress in reducing debt and its pledge to implement 80 percent of the OECD's proposed market reforms.
"I would like to do the Mexican wave," he said, noting the achievements made. "There is life after debt, and clearly what we have to do is plan for that period."___ AP Writer Nicholas Paphitis in Athens contributed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV