By Kathy Garber
Gold futures, GCZ13, is stalling below a significant level of 1258.3. A hold below here has the implication of testing the 1186.7 level, which is very important.
A hold below 1258.3 has the initial target at 1186.7. This is the line in the sand for two opposing emerging harmonic patterns, shown in green and blue.
Below 1186.7 will invalidate the large green pattern, which offers upside bias to complete this scenario, and focuses on the completion of the blue pattern.
Below 1186.7 has the ideal target at 1035.7 and scaling points at 1120.3 and 1093.4.
A hold above 1186.7 keeps the green pattern in play but has some important resistance tests along the way, namely 1258.3, 1337.7 and 1431 to start.
I'm often asked what do I consider a hold when it takes out an important level, in this case a "hold below 1186.7." Personally I like the higher timeframe I'm looking at, like this daily chart. For a one-candle close below 1186.7 followed by a smaller timeframe continuation to the downside, I like the hourly. Of course, choosing timeframes is a personal preference.
As always, use stops and keep an eye on the 10-handle rule. Don't forget to catch MrTopStep on The Closing Print video found under the OptionsTV page (top bar). We report directly from the SPX pits, wrapping up the day and positioning for trade tomorrow.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
MrTopStep can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/MrTopStep
For LIVE futures chat, more information on the 10-handle rule and futures educational content CLICK HERE FOR A SEVEN-DAY FREE TRIAL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV