The red-hot biotech IPO class of 2013 is cooling off.
Look at the blue line in the chart above. It represents the performance of all biotech IPOs in 2013. For most of the year, biotech IPOs were en fuego. Since October, not so much. And now, that blue line has crossed below the red line, which represents the S&P 500.
The biotech IPO Class of 2013 is now under-performing the broader market. (Thanks Credit Suisse for the chart.)
For all the buzz that newly public biotech companies generated this year, it was always unrealistic to believe shares would go up forever. This is particularly true for the biotech stocks with very early-stage pipelines.
Like Bluebird (BLUE):
BLUE data by YCharts
Prosensa (RNA) debuted well but then its lead drug blew up:
RNA data by YCharts
Enanta Pharma (ENTA) has help up well:
ENTA data by YCharts
And so has Portola Pharma (PTLA):
PTLA data by YCharts
The expiraton of lock-up agreements play a significant role in the performance of IPOs, and biotechs are no exception:
So far 11 of the 38 Class of 2013 IPO companies have had their lockup dates expire. The average pre lock-up performance for the 11 companies is +57% (+48%/+30% relative to S&P500/S&P500 Biotech, respectively), while the average post lockup performance is -11% (-15%/-16% relative to S&P500/S&P500 Biotech, respectively.)
-- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV