We know all about momentum stocks. These are stocks that are going higher and have high relative strength numbers (Akorn is a 93). But what about the investors who also demand value? I demand value, too! I would not own a stock that doesn't make sense from a valuation point of view. Performance alone is not enough.
Data from Best Stocks Now App
When I take next year's earnings estimates of AKRX which are 91 cents, grow those earnings by 21% per year (per consensus analysts' estimate), and then apply a multiple to those potential earnings five years from now, I get a target price of about $40 per share.Akorn, in my opinion, still has substantial upside potential from a valuation point of view. It gets a value grade of B+. Stock Chart What's the last test I demand of Best Stocks Now? It is the visual test, the stock chart test. I don't buy downtrends, I don't get excited by sideways trends, and I especially avoid topping out and rolling over trend like we just saw with Tesla (TSLA). How is the current one-year chart of Akorn? Courtesy of StockCharts.com AKRX flies through the visual test with flying colors. The stock broke out in August of this year. It's been going up ever since and it broke out again recently to new all-time highs. Akorn passes my performance test, my valuation test, and my visual test. Data from Best Stocks Now App Out of 3,648 stocks in my database, Akorn comes in at #43. It is a stock that I currently own at Gunderson Capital Management. Follow @billgunderson This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV