#DigitalSkeptic's Guide to Black Friday Tech for the Investor
The cloud-based cellphone: Zact
Cost: Fully customizable plans start at $16.33 a month, plus the cost of the phone.
Only the investor gods know for sure if injecting the "everyman's a middleman" model of the Internet into cellphones will be make hay or hokum. But there's no denying the cool factor of Zact. The Redwood City, Calif., service essentially resells Sprint's 4G/LTE and 3G network as an easily customizable Web-based app allowing for user-specific custom blending of features such as voice minutes, text messages, data access and Web usage.
Families struggling with the kids blowing through SMS allowances -- and going to sites they shouldn't -- will line up. At least in my early demo, Zact offers exciting capabilities for managing exactly what sites can be accessed and for how long. Zact-supported phones are also not bad. (They include the Samsung Galaxy III.) But keep in mind that only new subscribers are supported; you need a Zact device; and those with feeble access to Sprint's network will be out of luck. But considering that Zact counts Andreessen Horowitz, Verizon (VZ) and Vodafone Group (VOD) as backers, is anybody really arguing Zact won't move the investor hype needle?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV