Orexigen Therapeutics (OREX) has been the best-performing obesity drug stock in 2013 despite not having an approved obesity drug to sell.
So, it seems as if Orexigen has actually benefitted from the protracted FDA review and delayed commercial launch of its obesity pill Contrave. On Monday, Contrave passed a key heart-safety test, which should lead to the drug's approval next June.Will Orexigen and its marketing partner Takeda succeed where rivals have (so far) failed? Takeda has a lot of metabolic drug marketing experience -- Actos is a blockbuster diabetes drug -- which should proven beneficial with the Contrave launch. Orexigen's enterprise value is still significantly lower than Arena and Vivus.
OREX Enterprise Value data by YCharts
-- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV