BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- Thursday's Thanksgiving holiday should drive a nice wedge into the market's trading this week, wince U.S. markets shut down all day Thursday and then close again at 1 p.m. Eastern on Friday in observance. The short trading week means that light volume and a relatively uneventful week are par for the course.
But quiet weeks tend to be conducive to gains. According to one study, Thanksgiving week ends higher than it started around two-thirds of the time. Add December's historically strong seasonality to the mix, and suddenly the recipe for gains in the market from this point looks a whole lot more compelling than the recipe for Aunt Edna's stuffing on Thursday.
So while most investors spend their time drawing out their battle plans to get the best Black Friday deals, we're taking a closer look at five new Rocket Stock names worth buying this week.For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 224 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 92.14%. >>5 Big Trades to Take for a Fed Taper Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV