BioTime, Inc. (NYSE MKT: BTX), a biotechnology company that develops and markets products in the field of regenerative medicine, today announced that Chief Executive Officer Michael D. West, PhD will present at the 11th Annual Commercial Translation of Regenerative Medicine conference in London on Monday, November 25, 2013.
Dr. West’s presentation titled “Strategies for the Manufacture of Highly Purified and Identified Products from Pluripotent Stem Cells" is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. London Time. Topics discussed will include:
• The generation of clonal human embryonic progenitor (hEP) cell lines
• Fate space screening to discover novel differentiation pathways• Examples of novel hEP lines with potential clinical utility In particular, Dr. West will discuss the use of BioTime’s PureStem™ technology to manufacture young cells from specific locations in the body. He will show data on diverse types of fat cells produced by BioTime scientists from human embryonic stem cells. One example will be data on the production of cells with molecular markers consistent with a rare and important cell type called “brown fat” cells. Brown fat cells are of great interest to medical researchers since in animal models of obesity and Type II diabetes, these cells show evidence of reducing body fat and increasing the body’s sensitivity to insulin. Dr. West will show that certain PureStem™ cell lines can be induced to express two important genes, one called “betatrophin” shown to induce the production of new insulin-producing cells, and “adiponectin” a gene believed to be important in protecting the body from deleterious effects of obesity. The presentation will be made available on BioTime's website at www.biotimeinc.com. About BioTime, Inc. BioTime is a biotechnology company engaged in research and product development in the field of regenerative medicine. Regenerative medicine refers to therapies based on stem cell technology that are designed to rebuild cell and tissue function lost due to degenerative disease or injury. BioTime’s focus is on pluripotent stem cell technology based on human embryonic stem (“hES”) cells and induced pluripotent stem (“iPS”) cells. hES and iPS cells provide a means of manufacturing every cell type in the human body and therefore show considerable promise for the development of a number of new therapeutic products. BioTime’s therapeutic and research products include a wide array of proprietary PureStem™ progenitors, HyStem ® hydrogels, culture media, and differentiation kits. BioTime is developing Renevia™ (a HyStem ® product) as a biocompatible, implantable hyaluronan and collagen-based matrix for cell delivery in human clinical applications. In addition, BioTime has developed Hextend ® , a blood plasma volume expander for use in surgery, emergency trauma treatment and other applications. Hextend ® is manufactured and distributed in the U.S. by Hospira, Inc. and in South Korea by CJ CheilJedang Corporation under exclusive licensing agreements. BioTime is also developing stem cell products for research and therapeutic use through its subsidiaries:
- Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. is a new subsidiary which has acquired the stem cell assets of Geron Corporation, including patents and other intellectual property, biological materials, reagents and equipment for the development of new therapeutic products for regenerative medicine.
- OncoCyte Corporation is developing products and technologies to diagnose and treat cancer.
- Cell Cure Neurosciences Ltd. (“Cell Cure Neurosciences”) is an Israel-based biotechnology company focused on developing stem cell-based therapies for retinal and neurological disorders, including the development of retinal pigment epithelial cells for the treatment of macular degeneration, and treatments for multiple sclerosis.
- LifeMap Sciences, Inc. (“LifeMap Sciences”) markets, sells and distributes GeneCards ® , the leading human gene database, as part of an integrated database suite that also includes the LifeMap Discovery™ database of embryonic development, stem cell research and regenerative medicine, and MalaCards, the human disease database.
- ES Cell International Pte Ltd., a Singapore private limited company, developed hES cell lines and may market those cell lines and other BioTime research products in over-seas markets as part of BioTime’s ESI BIO Division.
- OrthoCyte Corporation is developing therapies to treat orthopedic disorders, diseases and injuries.
- ReCyte Therapeutics, Inc. is developing therapies to treat a variety of cardiovascular and related ischemic disorders, as well as products for research using cell reprogramming technology.