The moves are not being made out of strength, but weakness. Time Warner Cable lost 191,000 customers during the last quarter, This was partly due to an argument over rights costs with CBS (CBS) but not entirely.
MoffettNathanson Research says there is a general move toward "cord cutting," people shedding cable subscriptions because they cost too much or they can't see the value. Cable services are regularly seen as the companies Americans dislike the most.
The number of cable subscribers peaked recently at just over 100 million and is now headed down, as cash-strapped consumers turn to DVDs and streaming entertainment to tablets on free WiFi connections. Cable's losses are not being made up with Internet broadband subscriptions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV