The deal between the technology giant and PrimeSense had been rumored for weeks, but nothing was consummated until now.
PrimeSense 3D Capri sensor has already been demonstrated on a Nexus tablet, so it's possible that Apple could bring that technology not only to its long-awaited and oft-rumored television set, but an iPad and, perhaps, an iPhone as well.
PrimeSense confirmed the acquisition in an email to TheStreet. "We can confirm the deal with Apple," PrimeSense said in the email. "Further than that, we cannot comment at this stage."
Apple shares ticked higher in early Monday trading, up 0.33% to $521.50
Israeli-based PrimeSense did not confirm the purchase price, which had been rumored to be around $300 million. AllThingsD reported the purchase price as around $360 million.
Apple has talked about moving into the television arena for some time, though nothing has happened, outside of Apple's set-top box. Apple CEO Timothy D. Cook has said that television is an "area of intense interest," in the past. "When I go into my living room and turn on the TV, I feel like I have gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," Cook told NBC's Brian Williams in an interview at the end of last year. "It's an area of intense interest. I can't say more than that."
Outside of Apple's set-top box, Apple TV, not much has happened in the living room for Apple. The company has recently been adding content to its $99 set-top box, most recently from Yahoo!, as well as other content providers. It's been thought that the delay behind the television set coming to market is a struggle between Apple and the cable companies. Perhaps by adding content to the set-top box, Apple is trying to subvert the cable companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV