AUSTIN, Texas, Nov. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Are you planning to get some holiday shopping done at work on Cyber Monday? You are not alone. According to recent surveys by RetailMeNot ( www.retailmenot.com), the largest digital coupon destination in the United States, and The Omnibus Company ( www.omnibus.com), nearly 9 in 10 (86%) working consumers plan to spend at least some time shopping or browsing online for gifts during work hours this Cyber Monday.
"Big sale days, like Black Friday, Cyber Monday and now Thanksgiving are more crucial than ever for both retailers and deal-seeking consumers," said Trae Bodge, senior editor of The Real Deal by RetailMeNot. "Cyber Monday continues to be a critically important option for consumers who want to avoid the crowds and find amazing deals from the convenience of their home or as this survey points out—workplace!"
To Shop or Not to Shop … at WorkWith the survey indicating that the vast majority (86%) of working Americans planning to spend at least some time shopping or browsing online for gifts during work hours this Cyber Monday, you can bet the day will not be a productive one for employers. According to the United States Bureau of Labor and Statistics, there are about 155 million working Americans with an average hourly wage of $24.10. Employers may see more than $2.5 billion per hour in lost work productivity for the 67% of those surveyed who plan to shop an hour or more!In fact, the survey found that 1 in 4 (25%) working Americans plan to actually spend four hours or more shopping online for gifts during work hours that day. Getting caught red-handed? In addition, more than 1 in 5 (21%) Cyber Monday consumers surveyed who have shopped online at work have gotten caught doing so!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV