5 Characteristics of the Best Retirement Savers
Another other attributes: a positive outlook, a commitment to saving today for tomorrow and the ability to "envision" a comfortable and secure retirement.
If there was one word that best describes the top savers, it might be "confidence," according to an annual retirement survey from BlackRock, the New York investment management firm.
"When workers feel empowered, confident and positive about the savings process, they will actually save more for retirement than workers who don't feel that way," says Chip Castille, managing director at BlackRock's U.S. and Canada defined contribution group.BlackRock leads off its survey with some disturbing, but not uncommon news: Americans just aren't saving enough. While BlackRock advises workers to save at least 15% of their salary toward retirement, few do. According to the study, about 65% of Americans save 10% or less, and 28% save 5% or less. retirement goals. "Vision." The best power savers can actually see themselves enjoying retirement. Those workers who don't share the vision are in for an uphill climb. "Savers who are having trouble 'envisioning' the retirement they want to achieve are less successful as savers," Castille says, citing survey data that 39% of survey respondents who know what their retirement will look like qualify as "highly effective" savers. stockbroker, accountant, lawyer or financial adviser). Those workers who ask for professional help were much more likely to be power savers, BlackRock reports. So there you go. If it's a comfortable retirement you want, be confident, be positive, track your progress regularly, and check with a financial services professional on a steady basis. Saving 15% of your annual income every year won't hurt either.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV