Pursuant to this experience, it's no surprise that since it played Falling Out for me, Pandora has not served me any more Ween. That's because it didn't serve me Ween in the first place because of some seemingly obvious pop culture or music genre association. It served me that one song because, musicologically, it made sense given my listening history.
This screen capture isn't from the Ween song; it's from another, but, it doesn't matter, it's a representative example and nicely illustrates the complexity and nuance of the MGP.
I have seen the guts of the MGP. When Pandora says there are many more attributes, they mean it. Down to the last bit of musicological minutiae, Pandoras music analysts classify songs. Then the algorithm, with some human oversight and input, takes all of this data and places each song in Pandora's library on a spectrum. Put simply, the distance between songs determines where they end up on yours and Pandora's various stations.
Nobody else in Internet radio even comes close. Not even Apple. In fact, most -- and, though Apple has yet to confirm, I think they are among "most" -- use EchoNest, a relatively generic music recommendation system employed by platforms such as Rdio and Clear Channel's iHeart Radio. That's simply not enough and never will be enough to crush, kill or otherwise meaningfully harm Pandora.Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV