NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Huntington Bancshares (HBAN) was the winner among stocks of large U.S. banks on Friday, with the stock rising 2% to close at $9.14.
The broad indices were all strong, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average
Despite the run-up in bank stock prices, many large-cap banks, including JPMorgan Chase (JPM), Bank of America (BAC), Wells Fargo (WFC), Citigroup (C), U.S. Bancorp (USB) and Capital One (COF), remain cheaply priced historically to tangible book value, according to Oppenheimer analyst Chris Kotowski.
In a note to clients on Thursday, Kowtoski wrote that the above banks were trading for an average of 1.8 times tangible book value. In comparison, the large-cap banks traded for an average of 3.6 times tangible book value over the 12-year period through 2006, before the housing bubble burst in 2007.
Huntington Bancshares of Columbus, Ohio, has seen its stock return 46% this year. The shares trade for 1.5 times their reported Sept. 30 tangible book value of $6.10 and 12.7 times the consensus 2014 earnings estimate of 72 cents a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2015 EPS estimate is 80 cents.
Based on a quarterly payout of 5 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 2.19%.
Please see TheStreet's earnings coverage for a full analysis of the company's most recent financial results and an exclusive interview with Huntington CEO Stephen Steinour.
Interested in more on Huntington Bancshares? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla.>Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV