Alpha Natural Resources (ANR) Is Today's Dead Cat Bounce Stock
- ANR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $73.7 million.
- ANR has traded 6.1 million shares today.
- ANR is up 3% today.
- ANR was down 5.7% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ANR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ANR NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on ANR: Alpha Natural Resources, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in extracting, processing, and marketing steam and metallurgical coal in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Wyoming. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate Alpha Natural Resources a buy, 4 analysts rate it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold. The average volume for Alpha Natural Resources has been 11.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Alpha Natural has a market cap of $1.6 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. The stock has a beta of 2.46 and a short float of 25.3% with 5.37 days to cover. Shares are down 29.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Alpha Natural Resources as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 893.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$46.15 million to -$458.24 million.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $111.08 million or 34.77% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC reported poor results of -$11.06 versus -$3.25 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$2.30 versus -$11.06).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- ANR, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 5.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 27.1%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Alpha Natural Resources Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.