Trade-Ideas: Amazon.com (AMZN) Is Today's Momo Momentum Stock
- AMZN has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $1.0 billion.
- AMZN has a PE ratio of 1294.9.
- AMZN is currently in the upper 30% of its 1-year range.
- AMZN is in the upper 25% of its 20-day range.
- AMZN is in the upper 35% of its 5-day range.
- AMZN is currently trading above yesterday's high.
- AMZN has experienced a gap between today's open and yesterday's close of 0.3%.
'Momo Momentum' stocks are valuable stocks to watch for a variety of reasons including historical back testing and price action. Market technicians refer to such stocks as being in a mark-up phase before a possible distribution period and price decline. Technical analysts and traders frequently find that the factors referenced above tend to create a temporary burst of strong wind in a stock's sail. Nevertheless, all successful traders must excel at maximizing gains while keeping losses to an absolute minimum. For that reason, the holding period on momo momentum stocks must always be a primary consideration, and this part of the puzzle is ultimately at the discretion of each individual's risk tolerance and portfolio risk management skills. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in AMZN with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for AMZN NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on AMZN: Amazon.com, Inc. operates as an online retailer in North America and internationally. The company operates in two segments, North America and International. AMZN has a PE ratio of 1294.9. Currently there are 24 analysts that rate Amazon.com a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold. The average volume for Amazon.com has been 2.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Amazon.com has a market cap of $166.0 billion and is part of the services sector and retail industry. The stock has a beta of 0.60 and a short float of 1.9% with 2.58 days to cover. Shares are up 44.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Amazon.com as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 23.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.33, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 85.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 64.78% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Setting our sights on the months ahead, however, we feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The implication is that its reduced upside potential is not good enough to warrant further investment at this time.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Internet & Catalog Retail industry and the overall market, AMAZON.COM INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for AMAZON.COM INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 32.53%. Regardless of AMZN's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -0.23% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Amazon.com Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.