Updated from 12:05 p.m. ET with settlement prices
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gold prices closed little changed on Friday as traders took a breather following a more than 2% drop over the past two trading sessions.
Gold for December delivery at the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange rose 50 cents to settle at $1,244.10 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as $1,248.30 and as low as $1,240.30, while the spot price was slipping 0.13% to $1,242.83.
"We're just having a little bit of a recovery after this latest move lower," Ole Hansen, head of commodities strategy at Saxo Bank, said in a phone interview from Copenhagen. "It could indicate that heading into next week the risk is pointing to the downside."
The yellow metal lost nearly $30 across Wednesday and Thursday after the Federal Reserve's minutes from the central banks' October policy-making meeting showed that "a number" of members expected the central bank to slow down its economic stimulus program in the coming months, so long as economic data continued to trend positively.A slowdown in monetary stimulus would suggest to markets that long-term inflation pressures would soften. Gold investors often view the yellow metal as an asset hedge against inflationary concerns. Silver prices for December delivery slid 7 cents to $19.86 an ounce, while the U.S. dollar index was declining 0.36% to $80.71. Gold mining stocks were turning mostly lower on Friday. Shares of NovaGold Resources (NG) were off 4% to $2.17. Among volume leaders, Barrick Gold (ABX) was off 2.1% to $16.50 a share. Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) down a penny at $119.93, while iShares Gold Trust (IAU) was up a penny to $12.07. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV