Greenbrier Companies (GBX) Marked As A Dead Cat Bounce Stock
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Greenbrier Companies (GBX) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Greenbrier Companies as such a stock due to the following factors:
- GBX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $13.6 million.
- GBX has traded 36,732 shares today.
- GBX is up 3.1% today.
- GBX was down 5.9% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in GBX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for GBX NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on GBX: The Greenbrier Companies, Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets railroad freight car equipment in North America and Europe. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.4%. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Greenbrier Companies a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold.The average volume for Greenbrier Companies has been 299,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Greenbrier Companies has a market cap of $877.3 million and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 3.01 and a short float of 14.3% with 7.74 days to cover. Shares are up 81.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Greenbrier Companies as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 19.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.99, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $85.36 million or 36.73% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, GREENBRIER COMPANIES INC's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 80.49%.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Machinery industry and the overall market, GREENBRIER COMPANIES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for GREENBRIER COMPANIES INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 14.50%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 4.27% trails that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Greenbrier Companies Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV