10 Least Drunk States in the U.S.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If you're in need of a drinking buddy, you'll be hard-pressed here. We count down the least boozy states in the union.
Figures from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAA) which has released its latest analysis on the state of the drinking union, show the states home to the least number of boozehounds. By tallying sales of alcoholic beverages divided by census population data (all those aged 14 and older so don't discount those underage guzzlers), the Institute has brewed the numbers and come away with a per capita rate.
So sit back, relax -- grab a drink, we won't judge -- while we mark off the straight-laced neighbors of the country's booziest states.
How do you stack up against the rest in your state?10th Least Drunk State: North Carolina
|One of 18 alcohol beverage control (ABC) states, North Carolina's government has a tight hand over when, where and how much booze you can buy. On Sunday, the state bans beer and wine purchases before noon and all alcohol retailers must shut shop. Total pure alcohol consumed: 2.01 gallons of ethanol (pure alcohol) per person Beer: 186.68 cans per person (based on 4.5% alcohol content in a 16 oz. can) Wine: 14.68 bottles per person (based on 12.9% alcohol content in a 25 oz. bottle) Spirits: 5.5 bottles per person (based on 40% alcohol content in a 1-liter vodka bottle)|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV