NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- 3D Systems
(DDD) jumped 6.7% to $76.99 in premarket trading Friday on news it's going to help Google
(GOOG) subsidiary Motorola Mobility make smartphone enclosures and modulars.
Motorola's Project Ara, which was helped build a platform to ensble consumers to be more empowered, will allow customers the opportunity to make certain functional and aesthetic choices about the devices, and 3-D printing is going to be a big part of that.
"Project Ara was conceived to build a platform that empowers consumers all over the world with customization for a product made by and for the individual," said Avi Reichental, President and CEO of 3D Systems in a press release. "3D printing promotes a level of sustainability, functionality, and mass personalization that turns these kinds of global ambitions into attainable local realities. Project Ara combines two exponential technologies, and we expect that the resulting high-throughput advanced manufacturing platform will have far reaching implications on the entire digital thread that stitches together the factory of the future."
As part of the agreement, 3D Systems will expand its multi-material printing capabilities. The company will also combine additive and subtractive manufacturing methods, which will allow it to deliver an integrated, faster production platform.
--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York
>Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV