NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Americans look ready to open up their pocketbooks to the tune of $801 in holiday spending this year, according to the American Research Group -- and that's actually down from $854 last year.
It's a good chunk of cash, and every dollar counts to meet a holiday budget in a tough economy.
If you come up short, don't despair. According to Coinstar (OUTR), the "coins-to-cash" money services firm, Americans have $56 in spare change lying around that they didn't know about.
Coinstar surveyed 1,011 consumers in October and found that Americans typically sell themselves short on the amount of loose change they think is around the house. The survey found that consumers estimated they had $26 in loose change in their homes and cars (or, as Coinstar puts it, "in piggy banks or junk drawers and weighing down purses or backpacks").
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV