NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Chinese equities have broken higher this week as the government plans to implement bold reforms over the next decade.
This past week, the Chinese government came out with plans for broad social and economic change over the next decade. Markets have viewed this decision in a positive light, which has allowed the iShares China Large-Cap (FXI) to break higher out of a multiyear consolidation.
The government plans to make the economy more market-based and less restrictive, thus causing the yuan to appreciate against the dollar. The government has artificially suppressed yuan strength for many years in an effort to keep exports competitive.
Now that economic goals center more on domestic consumers and less on exports, monetary policy is more accepting of currency appreciation.The social reforms aim to improve the structure of Chinese demographics. The current one-child policy has hurt the population in unforeseen ways, as male heirs have been favored under the existing rules. The social reforms should ultimately lead to a larger and healthier base for labor and overall well being. Investors have taken the news in a positive manner, bidding the index higher out of a multiyear consolidation. The chart below shows a reverse head and shoulders that was broken by this week's trading action. Follow @macroinsights This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV