An under-$10 biotechnology player that's starting to enter breakout territory is Neuralstem (CUR), which is engaged in the development and commercialization of treatments for central nervous system disease based on transplanting human neural stem cells and the use of small molecule drugs. This stock has been exploding to the upside in 2013, with shares up big by 139%.
If you take a look at the chart for Neuralstem, you'll notice that this stock has been uptrending strong for the last month and change, with shares pushing higher from its low of $2.15 to its intraday high of $2.62 a share. During that uptrend, shares of CUR have been consistently making higher lows and higher highs, which is bullish technical price action. That move has now started to push shares of CUR above a key downtrend line, which is bullish technical price action.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in CUR if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $2.75 to $2.97 a share, and then once it takes out its 52-week high at $3.02 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 1.10 million shares. If we get that move soon, then CUR will set up to enter new 52-week-high territory, which is bullish technical price action. Some possible upside targets off that move are $4 to $5 a share. Traders can look to buy CUR off weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below some key near-term support levels at $2.28 to $2.15 a share. One can also buy CUR off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV