Another stock that's starting to move within range of a big breakout trade is Performance Technologies ( PTIX), which is a supplier of advanced network communications solutions to carrier, government and OEM markets. This stock has been red hot so far in 2013, with shares up huge by 275%.
If you take a look at the chart for Performance Technologies, you'll notice that this stock has been trending sideways and consolidating for the last three months and change, with shares moving between $2.50 on the downside and $3.97 on the upside. Shares of PTIX have now started to spike higher back above its 50-day moving average of $2.92 a share with bullish upside volume flows. This spike is quickly pushing shares of PTIX within range of triggering a big breakout trade above the upper-end of its recent sideways trading chart pattern.Market players should now look for long-biased trades in PTIX if it manages to break out above some key overhead resistance levels at $3.40 to $3.79 a share, and then once it takes out its 52-week high at $3.97 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 167,669 shares. If that breakout hits soon, then PTIX will set up to enter new 52-week-high territory, which is bullish technical price action. Some possible upside targets off that breakout are $6 to $7 a share. Traders can look to buy PTIX off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below some key near-term support around $2.50 a share. One can also buy PTIX off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV