10 Drunkest States in the U.S.
Updated from 9:44 a.m. to include information in the third paragraph.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Do you enjoy the occasional drink? A schooner in the summer? A seidel on a Sunday? A snifter after supper? No judgment here, and if you're in need of a drinking buddy, you won't have to look far.
Figures from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAA) which has released its latest analysis on the state of the drinking union, show the states most likely to have a cocktail or two. By tallying sales of alcoholic beverages divided by census population data (all those aged 14 and older so don't discount those underage guzzlers), the Institute has brewed the numbers and come away with a per capita rate.
A nation as a whole, it's a wonder we get anything done. In total, we consume 2.28 gallons of ethanol (pure alcohol) per person a year. By poison, that equates to 199 beer 16oz cans, 15.9 25oz bottles of wine and 7.2 1-liter bottles of vodka.
Sit back, relax -- grab a drink, we can wait -- while we mark off the booziest states compared to their straight-laced neighbors.How do you stack up against the rest in your state?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV