10 Drunkest States in the U.S.
Updated from November 22, 2013 to include the 10 least drunk states in the U.S.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Do you enjoy the occasional drink? A schooner in the summer? A seidel on a Sunday? A snifter after supper? No judgment here, and if you're in need of a drinking buddy, you won't have to look far.
Figures from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAA) which has released its latest analysis on the state of the drinking union, show the states most likely to have a cocktail or two. By tallying sales of alcoholic beverages divided by census population data (all those aged 14 and older so don't discount those underage guzzlers), the Institute has brewed the numbers and come away with a per capita rate.
A nation as a whole, it's a wonder we get anything done. In total, we consume 2.28 gallons of ethanol (pure alcohol) per person a year. By poison, that equates to 199 beer 16oz cans, 15.9 25oz bottles of wine and 7.2 1-liter bottles of vodka.But first, bar stools are vacant in some corners of the United States. Check out the least drunk states in the U.S. before we count down their boozy neighbors. 10th Least Drunk State: North Carolina
|One of 18 alcohol beverage control (ABC) states, North Carolina's government has a tight hand over when, where and how much booze you can buy. On Sunday, the state bans beer and wine purchases before noon and all alcohol retailers must shut shop. Total pure alcohol consumed: 2.01 gallons of ethanol (pure alcohol) per person Beer: 186.68 cans per person (based on 4.5% alcohol content in a 16 oz. can) Wine: 14.68 bottles per person (based on 12.9% alcohol content in a 25 oz. bottle) Spirits: 5.5 bottles per person (based on 40% alcohol content in a 1-liter vodka bottle)|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV