NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Smart investors understand that one needs to have an extremely high frustration threshold to invest in commodity-driven industries. In the case of Anadarko Petroleum (APC), which has built itself as a leader in exploration and production of oil and gas, you also need plenty of patience and the understanding that things aren't always going to go according to plan.
While Anadarko's upstream oil and gas business is already a high-risk proposition given the unpredictable nature of exploration and production, the company has also been dealing with a lengthy lawsuit with the creditors of Tronox (TROX), following Tronox's spin-off of Kerr-McGee.
Kerr-McGee, which is the former parent company of Tronox, was acquired by Anadarko in 2009 for $19 billion. The acquisition, however, occurred right after Kerr-McGree spun off Tronox. Shortly after Tronox was spun-off, Tronox filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection due to substantial environmental burdens it was unable to repay. These include clean-up costs as well as other penalties.
[Read: Kass: A Touch-and-Go Status Quo]
To make a long story short, not only has Tronox since settled with the U.S. government, but the company has taken significant steps to regain consumers' trust and rebuild its reputation, including organizing groups such as the environmental-response trusts that are tasked to clean up and repair more than 1,000 facilities suspected of contaminants.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV