Government Properties Income (NYSE: GOV) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.00%. Government Properties Income Trust operates as a real estate investment trust (REIT) in the United States. It primarily owns and leases office buildings that are leased mainly to government tenants. The company has a P/E ratio of 23.34. The average volume for Government Properties Income has been 460,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Government Properties Income has a market cap of $1.4 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 2.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Government Properties Income as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, increase in stock price during the past year and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 9.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- GOVERNMENT PPTYS INCOME TR's earnings per share declined by 12.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GOVERNMENT PPTYS INCOME TR reported lower earnings of $1.01 versus $1.06 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.03 versus $1.01).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, GOVERNMENT PPTYS INCOME TR's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Government Properties Income Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts