One fact changing for shareholders is risk of ownership declines and the potential reward increases as the price falls, all else being equal. The company and the market agreed with Let the Bidding Begin for BlackBerry.
Fairfax Financial wasn't interested in actually buying the company and only wanted to generate interest and urgency from potential suitors. The board ousted Thorsten Heins as CEO because he really should have finalized the sale before BB10, not wait until after. Now it's up to you to decide if I'm right that BlackBerry is worth over $8 or not.
With shares near $6, the difference doesn't represent much on a per dollar share basis, but as a percentage, a 25% or more appreciation is significant. Make no mistake, BlackBerry the company (verses the stock) has declined in value over the six months, but I believe the shares have fallen proportionally more, creating a reasonable risk vs. reward. For this reason, I've recently started buying shares in my own account for the first time.
As I type in my Las Vegas hotel room (I'm attending the SMX Social Media Marketing Conference to gain an insider's perspective), I can't help but be reminded that an axiom applicable to Vegas equally applies to Wall Street: "No, things don't have to get better, and yes, it can get worse."
In other words, BlackBerry is far from a sure thing, and I don't predict the future, only the odds. As always, perform your own due diligence and never leave yourself without a life jacket.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV