- No more pennies? While some financial pundits mull the elimination of the U.S. penny, Americans still value spare change – even in its smallest form. In fact, nearly all respondents (97 percent) can name at least one coin they'd pick up if they saw it on the street, with a majority placing even the smallest denominations on the list – 66 percent said they would pick up a penny, and 74 percent would pick up a nickel.
- Where's your change? Even though Americans value spare change, they don't always show it. Survey respondents report that their coins are often scattered about in locations like purses and bags (59 percent), car cup holders (53 percent), under couches (30 percent) and on closet floors (19 percent).
- Is Your Coin Jar Jingling? More than half (56 percent) of holiday gift givers will pay for most of this year's presents using cash – and that number goes up for parents (63 percent) and millennials (Gen Y) between the ages of 18 and 29 (61 percent). Cash gift buying creates more spare change to save so why not collect and cash it in for even more presents this year?
- Stocking Savers: Sixty-eight percent of Americans buy stocking stuffers each year – with an average value of $21 per stocking stuffer. Those who tend to purchase stocking stuffers also, on average, save more in spare change than those who don't purchase stocking stuffers ( $30 vs. $21).
- Gift Card Madness: Gift cards top holiday wish lists, with 72 percent of respondents admitting that they would rather receive a gift card than a physical item. However, only 54 percent claim that they will purchase more gift cards than physical items for people on their list this year.
- Last-Minute Loves: Although the longer people wait to shop, the more gift cards are purchased – 77 percent of those who buy presents at the last minute rely on gift cards. The second most popular last minute gift is cash, given by 44 percent in a time crunch during the holiday season.
Is Your Coin Jar Jingling? You May Have More Money To Shop This Holiday Season
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts