A U.K. adviser has one solution to help Facebook Inc FB and Twitter Inc TWTR battle cyber bullying.
Cyber bulling has become a growing problem, and one advisor to the U.K.’s prime minister urges Facebook Inc (FB) and Twitter Inc (TWTR) to block anonymous messages. She believes this will cut down on how much bullying occurs online.
Facebook and Twitter can help battle bullying
Clair Perry, who is U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron’s child Internet safety adviser, says neither Facebook Inc (FB) nor Twitter Inc (TWTR) is doing enough to battle online bullying. Rowena Mason, political correspondent for The Guardian, reports that Perry spoke before a hearing with the House of Commons Media Committee. She said if both social networks block messages from anonymous users, bullying on both of them would be reduced.
Perry also says there should be some kind of verification process for users so that people can easily see if those they receive messages from have provided their real names or are using an anonymous account. Perry herself received threats through Twitter Inc (TWTR) over the summer, and she said anonymity of use makes it easy for anyone to threaten anyone over a social network.“People post about how they’d like to rape you and kill you because they think you don’t know who you are,” Perry is quoted by the newspaper’s website as saying. “If there was some way of the company knowing and being prepared to verify that identify and to show you that verification, I think it would lead to a diminuation in that kind of behaviour.”
Prosecuting trolling on Facebook and TwitterShe also advocated prosecution for "trolling," which is basically being exceptionally mean, threatening or rude to people online just because you can. She called the practice “deeply misogynistic” and said she thinks prosecuting for “pretty vile behaviour” would help the situation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV
- The 8 States Most Likely to Legalize Marijuana Next
- Behind Russia's Current Crisis: It's Not the Ruble, It's Putin
- Would you invest in the U.S. Postal Service?
- Why Jim Cramer Says it Could be Too Late to Enter the Stock Market Rally Now
- Apple (AAPL) Stock Declining Today Amid Allegations of Poor Working Conditions in China
Rates from Bankrate.com
- Credit Cards