NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Lowe's (LOW) was falling in Wednesday trading after missing third-quarter earnings and taking rival Home Depot (HD) with it, but their respective revenue growth and same-store sales increases have inspired confidence that the industry may be poised for a turnaround.
While Lowe's was tumbling 4.1% to $48.27, home renovation suppliers Masco Corporation (MAS), Fortune Brands (FBHS) and Headwaters (HW) were rallying on the view that demand for their product is increasing. Shares of Home Depot were slipping 0.4% to $80.17.
Industry leaders Masco Corporation and Fortune Brands, which both manufacture construction supplies and fixtures, gained 3.8% to $21.84 and 2.1% to $42.78, respectively. Small-cap competitor Headwaters was up 2.9% to $8.99.
The home improvement industry has been buffeted by macroeconomic headwinds after the housing market crashed during the U.S. economic downturn. Over the third quarter, Lowe's and Home Depot reported a 6.2% and 7.4% increase in same-store sales, respectively, indicating a market recovery is well underway.TheStreet Ratings team rates Masco Corp as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate Masco Corp (MAS) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- MAS's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 7.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Masco Corp reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, Masco Corp continued to lose money by earning -19 cents a share vs. -$1.34 a share in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (79 cents versus -19 cents).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Building Products industry. The net income increased by 586.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $15 million to $103 million.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Building Products industry and the overall market, Masco Corp's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 209.57% to $291 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, Masco Corp has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 53.86%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MAS Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV