Based on the two big oil buys, it's easy to think that Bershire Hathaway made a big bet on the energy sector last quarter -- but that ignores the huge sale of ConocoPhillips ( COP) shares, which flushed more than $519 million worth of the Houston-based E&P from Berkshire's portfolio. The trade nearly halved Buffett's stake in ConocoPhillips, almost offsetting the Exxon and Suncor trades entirely.
There's a big difference between ConocoPhillips and the energy stocks that Berkshire actually bought: COP spun off its downstream operations into Phillips 66 ( PSX) in May 2012. The result is one of the biggest pure-play oil and gas producers with 8.6 billion barrels of proven reserves. But the fact of the matter is that a lack of refineries and gas stations actually makes COP more attractive, not less. Without the paper thin margins those businesses provide, ConocoPhillips converted twice as many sales dollars into profit as Exxon did last quarter.Around half of ConocoPhillips' reserves come from natural gas. That's an attractive mix, especially given how the firm's supermajor peers have been falling all over themselves to boost exposure to nat gas by acquiring big producers in recent years. With oil prices holding onto the high end of their historic range, nat gas prices are starting to see some buoyancy as consumers substitute one fuel for the other. With Buffett selling COP right now, I'd be buying.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV