How nuts? Berkshire's biggest buy for the quarter picked up another $8 billion in valuation as new buyers piled into shares. But Wall Street got a lot of the details wrong about the Oracle of Omaha's stock spending spree. That's why we're taking a closer look today.
It's not understating things to say that it was another quiet quarter at Berkshire. The $92 billion portfolio only increased stakes in six stocks in the third quarter, and none of those positions were new. Instead, Todd Combs and Ted Weschler, Buffett's team of two portfolio managers, stuck with increasing stakes in their favorite names in 2013.>>5 Big Stocks to Trade for Big Gains That's fine as far as Buffett is concerned: Both managers beat the S&P 500 by double digits last year. Even though the buying has been cautious, it tells us a whole lot more about the stocks that these guys like than if they'd been buying with both hands. And buys aren't the only telling trades going on at Berkshire. The stocks that Berkshire unloaded are pretty informative too. So, want to profit from the trades that Buffett made? Today we're taking a closer look at five conviction trades from Berkshire Hathaway's portfolio. >>5 Rocket Stocks for Another Week of New Highs That word -- conviction -- is an important distinction for the folks poring over Berkshire's latest 13F filings with the SEC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV