Shares of Pacific Premier Bancorp (PPBI) of Irvine, Calif., closed at $14.13 Monday and traded for 12.4 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $1.14. The company's ROTCE for the first three quarters of 2013 was 11.19%, down from 11.96% in 2012 and 12.48% in 2011. This year's performance has reflected higher provisions for loan losses, mainly to cover loans acquired through the purchase of failed banks from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.
Wells Fargo (WFC) closed at $43.41 Monday. The shares trade for 10.8 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $4.01.
Wells Fargo has consistently outperformed the other members of the "big four" U.S. banking club, which also includes JPMorgan Chase (JPM), Bank of America (BAC) and Citigroup (C). The company's ROTCE for the first three quarters of 2013 was 17.86%, increasing from 16.70% in 2012 and 16.50% in 2011.
Despite the strong performance and much lower level of regulatory pressure than JPMorgan Chase and Bank of America, Wells Fargo is not the most expensive stock among the "big four" on a forward P/E basis. That prize goes to Bank of America, with shares trading for 11.1 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $1.34, based on Monday's closing price of $14.92. BAC's ROTCE for the first three quarters of 2013 was 7.44%, which was a major improvement from 2.96% in 2012 and 1.08% in 2011. Bank of America is rated a C-plus (Fair) by TheStreet Ratings.The cheapest actively traded A-rated bank stock on a forward P/E basis is Capital One Financial (COF). The stock closed at $69.42 Monday and traded for 10.0 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $6.96. The company's ROTCE for the first three quarters of 2013 was 17.02%, improving from 14.64% in 2012 and 20.35% in 2011. The relatively weak performance during 2012 reflected extraordinary credit expenses following Capital One's purchase of HSBC's (HBC) U.S. credit card portfolio.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV