NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If you are a conservative long-term investor, the list of A-rated bank stocks below indicates that you can have your cake and eat it too.
TheStreet Ratings takes a very conservative, long-term approach to stock ratings, placing its emphasis on total returns as well as revenue trends, capital strength and dividends. The ratings also consider short-term performance, financial stability and stock-price volatility.
A rating of B-minus (Good) or higher translates to a "buy" rating.
Limiting the rated stocks to those that are actively traded with average daily volume of at least 40,000 shares, here are the four bank stocks rated A-plus (Excellent). All have achieved strong returns on average tangible common equity (ROTCE) through the third quarter of this year and over the previous two years, according to data provided by Thomson Reuters Bank Insight. Most trade at premiums to peers, based on forward price-to-earnings ratios:
- Prosperity Bancshares (PB) of Houston. The shares closed at $63.76 Monday and trade for 16 times the consensus 2014 earnings estimate of $2.82, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The company's ROTCE for the first three quarters of 2013 was a very strong 20.88%, following ROTCE of 19.84% in 2012 and 22.80% in 2011, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight. On this basis, Prosperity Bancshares has been the strongest performer for the past three years among the banks listed here.
- Home Bancshares (HOMB) of Conway, Ark. The shares closed at $33.75 Monday and trade for 19.6 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $1.72. The ROTCE for the first three quarters of 2013 was 15.89%, improving from 15.09% in 2012 and 13.49% in 2011.
- Community Bank System (CBU) of DeWitt, N.Y. The shares closed at $36.75 Monday and trade for 17.3 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $2.13. The company's ROTCE for the first three quarters of this year was 17.54%, compared to 14.95% in 2012 and 17.67% in 2011.
- First Financial Bancshares (FFIN) of Abilene, Texas. The shares closed at $61.79 Monday and trade for 21.9 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $2.82. The company's ROTCE for the first three quarters of 2013 was 16.33%, increasing from 15.3% in 2012 and 15.67% in 2011.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts