NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Retail is in the earnings spotlight this week, and TheStreet's Debra Borchardt is with Laurie Kulikowski taking a look at some recent results and what to expect when another big company reports tomorrow.
TJX Companies (TJX) beat on the top and bottom lines. Net income of $623 million crushed estimates of $462 million.
The company even beat its own lofty guidance, which management had increased in October.
Kulikowski said the company should do great during the holiday season, because customers love shopping at its TJ Maxx and HomeGoods stores. She also noted that management again raised its forward guidance.However, Best Buy (BBY) was unable to thrill investors with its earnings. Although Best Buy posted a profit this quarter, compared to a small loss in the same quarter last year, promotions are likely to squeeze margins during the holiday season, she added. Kulikowski suggested promotions will be the common theme in the retail space. Specifically, investors will want to know how promotions affect margins amid increased competition. Turning to J.C. Penney (JCP), the retailer will report earnings on Wednesday before the open. Kulikowski reminded investors in a recent article that J.C. Penney just reported its first positive monthly comparable-store sales result in roughly two years last month. And while analysts are expecting losses for the quarter, she concluded that margins would again be the focus as investors ask what the price was for positive sales growth.
-- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV