With only a few days of data, it's a bit early to hold any strong opinions about the likely trading range for
(TWTR) over the next few months. That didn't stop investors from trading 110,000 contracts on Monday. With 33 days to expiration, the December at the money puts were priced at the close of trading with an implied volatility of about 51%.
The most active contract was the December 50 calls, which traded 5,700 times during the session. Interestingly enough, most of that activity appeared to be in small lots, and most trades appeared to be call sales. Given TWTR intraday high of $50.09 on November 7, those short call trades were effectively bets that the stock wouldn't be surging to new highs anytime soon.
As for the valuation of those options, the best estimate we have so far is the volatility of the stock. Bucketing the data into hourly segments, we find that the 20-period annualized realized volatility of the shares has fallen steadily, from nearly 80% in the first few days of trading to about 40% by the Monday close. That makes options priced at 50% and higher seem expensive. Of course, if shares continue to slide, we will see a real test of of the truth of the rumor that IPO shares were allocated to funds that promised to have a "holding" mentality.
I don't own any shares yet, and these put premiums seem like a decent sale opportunity with a worst-case outcome of a new stock position. Investors who aren't used to naked put sales or who aren't interested in owning the underlying might be better advised to wait, but for everyone else:
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Jared can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/CondorOptions
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV