GE Aviation and CFM International received commitments for engines and services valued at $40 billion (USD list price) at this week’s Dubai Air Show.
These commitments will ultimately translate into purchase orders that will grow GE Aviation’s equipment and services backlog, which reached $114 billion by the end of this year’s third quarter. This total includes an equipment (mostly jet engines) backlog of $28.3 billion – which increased 31 percent over the past year.
Among GE’s highlights at the Dubai show was Emirates airlines’ commitment for 150 Boeing 777X twin-engine aircraft and 300 GE9X engines. This $11 billion engine commitment represents GE Aviation’s largest ever commercial jet engine award from an airline.
Meanwhile, CFM International, the 50/50 joint company of GE and Snecma (Safran), is experiencing the fastest engine orders ramp up in commercial aviation with its LEAP engine for narrow-body aircraft. With more than 450 LEAP orders at the Dubai show, total orders and commitments for the LEAP engine have surpassed 5,800 engines.“Year after year, GE has made enormous investments in new technologies that are driving our sales success,” said David Joyce, president and CEO of GE Aviation. “From ceramic matrix composites unique to the propulsion industry to the highest pressure ratios in our compressors, GE is developing a portfolio of reliable technologies that create new levels of operating efficiencies that our airline customers need.” The installed base of commercial engines in service for GE and its venture companies will grow from today’s 32,000 to more than 46,000 by 2020. And GE Aviation is ready. To handle the production growth, the company this year has opened or broken ground on three new manufacturing plants in the United States. Between 2013 and 2017, GE Aviation will invest $3.5 billion in new plant and equipment for its expanding global network of operations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV