Nov. 19, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- New insurance claims data[i] from the Allstate Insurance Company shows that fires and theft pose as threats to home security and safety for
residents during the holiday season. A new survey also highlights how holiday pressures and changes in activities, behaviors and routines can leave
homeowners vulnerable to home perils.
"Breaking out of our routines and making the most of our time with family and friends is what the holidays are all about," said
, an Allstate agent in
. "It's easy to get caught up in the festivities, so Allstate is reminding homeowners to use caution and remember to think through potential safety hazards in the home this holiday season."
The claims information indicates that holiday-related activities can cause losses for
Changes in Routine Increase Risk
- During the holidays, fire claims increase by 23 percent for Texas homeowners and theft claims increase by 9 percent.
- Texas homeowners are most likely to experience a theft claim over the holiday season.
- Compared to the national average, Texas theft claims are 12 percent more likely to occur.
- Candles are the most likely to cause a holiday-related fire. In fact, Christmas week is among the top three weeks for candle-related claims. The median cost for candle-related claims is almost $50,000.
- On average, there are three times more turkey fryer claims during the holiday season than any other time of the year. The median cost for turkey fryer-related claims is almost $29,000.
- Around New Year's Eve, (last week of December through first week in January) there are nearly twice as many claims caused by fireworks. The median cost for fireworks-related claims is nearly $14,000.
- Christmas trees are another holiday-related hazard that may result in costly damages. The median cost for Christmas tree-related claims is more than $100,000.
- Since 2008, the most costly holiday fire claim involved an artificial Christmas tree in the homeowners' living room. The total loss amount cost nearly $2.4 million.
survey data shows that holiday pressures and changes in activities, behaviors and routines can leave homeowners more susceptible to home perils. According to the survey…
- 50 percent of Texas consumers they are trying to do too many things at one time during the holidays.
- 54 percent of Texas consumers are trying new techniques for cooking and decorating.
- 51 percent of Texas respondents who drink alcohol say they drink more during the holidays than they usually do throughout the year.
- 54 percent of Texas consumers revealed that their daily schedule and routine changes during the holidays.
- 69 percent consumers leave delivered packages outside their home, drawing attention to valuable gifts and holiday spending.
- 52 percent of Texas respondents are traveling overnight during the holidays – leaving their homes more susceptible to risk.
Advance planning and precaution can protect your home and help make the holidays hazard-free. Allstate offers these tips to secure your home during the holidays: