MENLO PARK, Calif., Nov. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Despite ongoing efforts to address information technology issues, companies continue to come up short in their IT audit functions, according to a new survey from global consulting firm Protiviti ( www.protiviti.com). The study reveals that a large percentage of organizations are not planning and instituting the IT audit coverage necessary to assure critical IT operations, evaluate risk and provide a secure, available IT environment.
Now in its third edition, Protiviti's latest IT audit benchmarking study, titled From Cybersecurity to IT Governance – Preparing Your 2014 Audit Plan, analyzes the primary technology-related challenges companies face from the internal audit perspective, and identifies trends in the ways organizations evaluate their approach to IT audit functions and capabilities. The survey report can serve as a helpful guide to internal audit functions, audit committees and boards of directors as they build their annual audit plans.
"In today's organizations, virtually every function is technology-dependent, which means companies face a greater number of challenges to ensure an efficient, secure IT environment," said Brian Christensen, Protiviti executive vice president of global internal audit. "Based on the study, it's apparent that there is a tremendous gap between where most companies are and where they should be in terms of managing IT risk and strengthening governance and controls. As audit plans are developed, these technology challenges should also be top-of-mind for internal audit."Top Technology ChallengesAccording to the 469 respondents who participated in Protiviti's 2014 IT Audit Benchmarking Survey, including chief audit executives, IT audit directors, IT audit managers, and other auditing professionals, the top technology-related challenges facing organizations are:
- IT security (including data security, cyber security, and mobile security; this result was the number one challenge for the second consecutive year)
- IT governance
- Lack of ERP implementations, development, and knowledge
- Social media
- Vendor management
- Cloud computing
- Emerging technology and infrastructure changes
- Big data and analytics
- PCI compliance
- A large number of companies fail to devote adequate resources to IT audit and, as a result, are not able to fully assess potential risks. Also, 42 percent of organizations reported that they rely on outside resources to augment their IT audit departments because they lack the appropriate internal resources.
- Many internal audit functions are not performing IT audit risk assessments regularly, and even many of the companies that do perform these assessments need to do so more frequently. Of concern, one-third of companies with less than $100 million in revenue do not conduct any type of IT audit risk assessment, which presents countless potential hazards for their respective businesses.
- Also a cause for concern is the increase from 2012 to 2013 in the number of IT audit directors who report to the CIO. Even though the overall number of organizations with this reporting relationship is relatively low, allowing the IT department to audit itself is a potential recipe for disaster because independence and objectivity of assessments are lost.
- Public – 50%
- Private – 26%
- Not-for-profit – 12%
- Government – 11%
- Other – 1%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV