INDIANAPOLIS, Nov. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY) today will present a record-breaking gift of $12.6 million to the United Way. As the largest United Way contribution in the company's history, the donation represents the giving of Lilly employees in the United States and Puerto Rico, retirees, and a matching gift from the Lilly Foundation.
Lilly Chairman, President, and CEO John C. Lechleiter, Ph.D., will present the check to local United Way officials today at 11 a.m. at the Baxter YMCA, where the company also will recognize volunteers for their service and generosity. The funds will support the United Way of Central Indiana and other United Ways nationwide.
"The record-breaking check of $12.6 million represents the collective generosity of Lilly employees and retirees across the country," Lechleiter said about today's event. "Our United Way fund-raising campaign is a great opportunity to create positive change in our communities, and Lilly employees have continually raised the bar to support United Way in its mission to help people learn more, earn more, and lead safe and healthy lives."
The gift tops Lilly's 2012 United Way fund-raising total of $12.4 million. Lilly employees also volunteered more than 171,000 hours this year through initiatives such as the Lilly Global Day of Service, an annual day of community and charitable projects. Additionally, employees supported fund-raising efforts such as BackPack Attack and the Goodwill Clothing Drive by donating school supplies, clothing, and other necessities."It's not just about the money employees raise," Lechleiter added. "Equally important is the hands-on time employees give to United Way agencies nationwide. Every minute and every dollar leads to better outcomes for so many in our communities."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV