Nov. 19, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- New insurance claims data
from Allstate Insurance Company show that home burglaries pose an increased threat to home security and safety in
and across the nation during the holiday season.
"It's easy to get caught up in holiday festivities," said
, Allstate's Field Vice President in
. "So Allstate is reminding homeowners to use caution and remember to think through potential safety hazards in the home this holiday season."
Allstate's claims information indicates that holiday-related activities can cause losses for
- During the holidays, homeowner theft claims increase by nearly 10 percent among Californians, surpassing the U.S. average of seven percent increase during this time.
- California homeowners are likely to experience an 18 percent increase in sewer backup claims over the holiday season, consistent with the 19 percent national average.
Yet trends here and across the nation can vary significantly. In
, home fire claims decrease 16 percent during the holiday season, while the U.S. trend shows a 15 percent increase. According to national Allstate data, higher claims rate can be attributed to holiday-related factors such as these:
- Candles are the most likely to cause a holiday-related fire. In fact, Christmas week is among the top three weeks for candle-related claims. The median cost for candle-related claims is almost $50,000.
- On average, there are three times more turkey fryer claims during the holiday season than any other time of the year. The median cost for turkey fryer-related claims is almost $29,000.
- Around New Year's Eve (last week of December through first week in January), there are nearly twice as many claims caused by fireworks. The median cost for fireworks-related claims is nearly $14,000.
- Christmas trees are another holiday-related hazard that may result in costly damages. The median cost for Christmas tree-related claims is more than $100,000.
- Since 2008, the most costly holiday fire claim involved an artificial Christmas tree in the homeowners' living room. The total loss amount cost nearly $2.4 million.
Advance planning and precaution can protect your home and help make the holidays hazard-free. Allstate offers these tips to secure your home during the holidays: