PARIS, Nov. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Telindus Telecom, the first global alternative operator in Luxembourg, has successfully deployed cyber-security technology from Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext and NYSE: ALU) designed to protect against the growing threat from 'distributed denial of service' (DDoS) attacks.
During such attacks, hackers seek to overwhelm cloud and network infrastructures with huge volumes of traffic. Alcatel-Lucent's solution – jointly developed with Arbor Networks, a leader in network monitoring and security solutions, and comprising Alcatel-Lucent's IP routers and Arbor's Threat Management System - enables Telindus to intercept and eliminate DDoS traffic at the 'edge' of its network, before it reaches critical infrastructure or its enterprise customers.
- Securing the network and delivering 'clean' Internet services at high scale has become a critical element of a carrier cloud strategy at a time when DDoS attacks against customers are a top concern for service providers and customers, alike.
- Arbor's TMS software, integrated with Alcatel-Lucent's IP routers, deployed at the Internet peering points, dramatically reduces the impact of such attacks.
- Alcatel-Lucent and Arbor Networks' combined solution allows service providers to deliver DDoS protection as a service from the same platform as virtual private network (VPN) and business Internet services, with minimal incremental investment.
- As part of The Shift Plan Alcatel-Lucent is developing its activities in the cyber-security segment, as the company increases its overall specialist focus on IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access.
QuotesGerard Hoffmann, Chairman & Managing Director of Telindus Luxembourg: "DDoS has emerged as an incredibly resilient and innovative attack vector. A cloud-based service to handle DDoS attacks is a highly valued service differentiator because many businesses do not have the skill-set or resources to keep up with this rapidly escalating threat on their own." Luis Martinez Amago, President of Alcatel-Lucent's EMEA region: "Denial of service attacks are a serious concern and have the potential to bring down Internet Data Centers as well as large business or government networks for significant periods of time, which obviously has a detrimental impact on productivity and delivery of services. The faster we can identify and isolate the problem, the sooner everyone can get back to their business. By building Arbor's TMS into our service routers, we're essentially moving the defensive perimeter out to the 'edge' of the provider's network – in effect stopping the criminals at the border before they can infiltrate enterprise premises, or damage the provider's network." Colin Doherty, President of Arbor Networks: "DDoS attacks are getting much more complex, aided in large part by readily available tools and inexpensive services that are in the business of launching attacks. Attacks are also getting larger both at the high end, and on average. The more providers can do to layer protections and move mitigation to the edge of their infrastructure, the better it is for everyone." About Alcatel-Lucent's Integrated DDoS Solution The TMS DDoS scrubbing capability is available as a software module for the Multi Service Integrated Services Adapter (MS-ISA) on the 7750 Service Router (SR). The MS-ISA provides high touch processing that allows service providers to differentiate and optimize their enterprise, residential and mobile services. In addition to DDoS scrubbing, the MS-ISA allows enterprises to monitor and control their applications in the network, deliver a perfect stream of video with fast channel change and carrier-grade network security functions.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts