10 Questions You Must Never Ask Your Boss
8. "Where can I find more staples?"
"It is probably acceptable for employees to ask their boss for help finding something every now and then, but this should not become a habit," says Ann Butler, senior client liaison at HR consultancy Insperity.
Instead, turn to your colleagues, Butler suggests. Unfortunately, going directly to your boss with these questions might make them think you're unwilling to take the initiative to find answers to simple questions.
9. "Why do I have to do this? Will I get a raise for this?"This type of question makes it seem like you don't care or that you only want to complete the minimum job requirements, Butler says. "There is a time and a place to have discussions about compensation and performance pay, but asking about a raise for completing required tasks is unprofessional," she explains. "Managers don't usually give raises to employees based on their assigned duties or the completion of one additional project. Employees are more likely to get a raise for going above and beyond their job description on a consistent basis." 10. "What's your spouse like?" Even if you're "friends" with your boss, Hovendick says this kind of question can really leave the wrong impression. "Your boss is going to think, 'Why are you asking me this? Why do you care?'" he says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV