Innovation, economic recovery drive F-Series sales
Ford F-Series sales in key markets leading the country's economic turnaround – including the Northwest, West and Southeast – are outpacing the nearest competitor by 50 percent. F-Series innovations such as EcoBoost® fuel-saving engine technology and the MyFord Touch® connectivity system are helping Ford expand its truck leadership.
Ford's new F-150 STX value model is targeted at customers hit hard by the economic downturn but returning to work in the housing, energy and other markets that are seeing strong growth. STX sales quickly increased to 10 percent of all F-150 sales in 2013 from 3 percent in 2012. At the other end of the market, a segment Ford pioneered a decade ago, high-end F-Series trucks now lead with more than 50 percent share.
Western housing, tech growth
F-Series is outselling its nearest competitor by more than 65 percent in western markets, where
is experiencing rapid real estate growth and the technology industry is making
two of the country's fastest-growing states.
Central natural gas boom
- From 2008 to 2013, California has sold more F-Series vehicles than any other state except Texas
- Fuel economy resonates more in the West; 45 percent of customers in northwestern states order EcoBoost compared to the 38 percent average
- MyFord Touch was added to F-150 in 2012, and resonates particularly well in the Northwest
In the past five years, truck sales in the upper Midwest and Plains states represent the most significant percentage growth in F-Series trucks; this growth is tied mainly to expansion of domestic energy exploration and the renewable energy industry.
- From 2008 to 2013, F-Series sales grew 156.8 percent in North Dakota – the company's fastest-growing state by percentage – quadrupling the growth of No. 2, Texas. Montana is No. 3 at 121 percent and South Dakota is No. 4 at 112.5 percent
- Natural gas-powered Ford vehicle sales expected to rise 25 percent this year
- The energy sector, along with housing, is driving F-Series sales in the traditionally strong Texas market, with growth of 27 percent since 2008, to 500,000 trucks
The 2014 Ford F-150 is on sale now, featuring the new F-150 Tremor, the world's first EcoBoost-powered sport truck, and a new compressed natural gas prep option for customers to convert their F-150 to run on clean-burning, inexpensive CNG.