NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Networking specialist Brocade (BRCD) narrowly exceeded Wall Street's estimates for its fiscal fourth-quarter results, released after the close of trading, side-stepping some of the spending pressures that hurt its largest rival, Cisco (CSCO).
San Jose, Calif.-based Brocade reported revenue of $559 million, a 3% decline from the same period a year ago, but comfortably above analysts' forecast of $554.3 million. Excluding some items, Brocade earned 24 cents a share, a 41% increase from the same quarter in 2012. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of 18 cents a share.
Brocade shares rose 4.39% to $8.45 in extended trading.
"Q4 was a quarter in which we executed successfully across many facets of our business strategy," said Brocade CEO Lloyd Carney, in a statement. "We exceeded expectations for non-GAAP operating margin, non-GAAP EPS, and cash flow despite the U.S. Federal budget issues and continued softness in the overall storage market."Cisco shares tanked last week after the networking giant missed Wall Street's revenue estimate, weighed down by a weak spending climate, particularly in U.S. Federal and emerging markets. The gearmaker also said that the recent NSA snooping controversy had impacted its business in China. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV